Rocket and Apple Salad
This wonderful salad is deceptively simple. Despite being quick and easy to prepare, it is one of my all time favourites, being a perfect appetiser to a main course, or a light meal in itself.
Rocket is high in nitrates, which help to lower blood pressure and improve fitness through muscle oxygenation. Rocket has also been linked to decreased risk of obesity, diabetes, cancer and heart disease, while helping with a clear complexion and extra energy. We have covered the benefits of avocado many times, here on the site. They are a true superfood, are full of heart-healthy fats and are incredibly filling so you won't go hungry in between meals.
- One small bag of rocket
- 1 Pink Lady apple, sliced
- 1/4 cup chives, thinly sliced
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced into wedges
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pour the apple cider into a saucepan and bring to the boil on a low heat. Once boiling, simmer until the liquid reduces by half, then set aside to cool.
- Combine the cider, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and sea salt in a small mixing bowl and then slowly stir in the olive oil.
- When ready to serve: Dress your salad before plating. Combine the rocket, apple, chives, and avocado in a mixing bowl.
- You can either drizzle on the dressing now and toss, or serve separately.