Green Protein Salad
This nutritious salad is a delicious source of vegetarian protein. Quinoa is one of the best sources of protein around, and the egg gives an extra boost while helping to keep you full. Olives are a good source of essential healthy fats and add a complex, tangy flavour to the salad. I love this salad because it doesn't require any dressing, making it doubly healthy!
This recipe makes 2 servings.
- 2 cups of mixed lettuce leaves
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup or purple cabbage, diced
- 4 boiled eggs, halved or quartered
- 2 heaped tablespoons of mayonnaise OR plain yoghurt
- ½ cup of sliced red onion
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped,
- ½ cup of halved, pitted olives
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- To cook the quinoa, first rinse under cold running water to remove its bitter flavour. Tip into a pan and add double the amount of salted water. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Wash the lettuce leaves and toss them in a serving bowl, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the other ingredients together, including the quinoa.
- Add to the lettuce leaves and serve.