Healthy Organic Chicken Nuggets
These delicious organic chicken nuggets are always a hit with kids, even the fussy eaters. Try complementing them with some homemade sweet potato fries and a healthy coleslaw.
Children's nutrition is every bit as important as adults' and arguably even more so, as children's brains and bodies are still growing and developing all the time. However, many kids are notoriously fussy eaters and won't touch anything that they feel looks too healthy. These organic chicken nuggets are a great way to pack some extra nutrition into their diet on the down-low!
I always use coconut oil to fry my chicken as it is one of the safest oils to heat and is full of healthy fats. Many other common cooking oils contain toxins that are dangerous when heated. Please take a look at my article on the best oils to cook with.
Chicken is one of the richest sources of amino acids: tryptophan, histidine and lysine. Tryptophan is the key ingredient in making serotonin, which is essential for stabilizing your mood, appetite, sleep and digestive system. Histidine is another amino acid, utilized by your body to develop and maintain healthy tissues. Adequate histidine levels are essential to good mental and physical wellbeing. Finally, L-lysine is a building block of many essential proteins that help to fight disease and regulate appetite and digestion.
It is important to choose organic chicken. Organic chicken does not contain the toxic hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides that commercially raised birds do.
- 250g chicken breast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 slices of bread (gluten free works fine)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4tbsp coconut oil
- Place bread in the oven at 180C for 3 minutes each side.
- Break into pieces then blend coarsely. Mix 1/4 tsp salt into the breadcrumbs, then pour evenly onto a plate.
- Cut chicken breast into rough cubes and place in a bowl.
- To marinade the chicken, add the whole egg, olive oil, mustard powder, salt and pepper, then mix well.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, on medium heat.
- Roll each chicken cube in the bread crumbs until well coated and fry for a couple of minutes on each side, or until cooked all the way through.
- Serve and enjoy!