Poached Egg with Smashed Avocado on Toast
A healthy breakfast is vital for providing your body and brain with the fuel they need to get through the day. So often we opt for sugar-filled foods, such as cereals and jams, that send our blood-sugar levels into a pattern of spiking and crashing, affecting our concentration and energy levels. The ideal breakfast should consist largely of protein and healthy fats. This will ensure that your body gets the nutrition it needs during your busy morning, while keeping you feeling full up until lunch.
This simple recipe should become one of your staples as it contains all the nutrition that you need to get a headstart first thing in the morning. Try it for a couple of weeks and see how your energy and concentration levels change as a result. For more great breakfast ideas, you might want to consider my New Year...New You programme.
- 1 Ripe avocado
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- finely chopped tomatoes/peppers
- 1 slice of wholemeal/gluten-free bread
- Halve the avocado and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and olive oil, then mash well.
- Boil a half-full pan of lightly-salted water.
- Crack an egg and pour it quickly into the water. Then repeat with the other egg.
- Cook for between 2-4 minutes, depending on how firm you like them. Check regularly by removing from water with a slotted spoon and prodding gently.
- Spread the avocado mix onto your toasted bread and serve with the eggs either on top or to the side.