Chinese Shrimp Cauliflower Rice
As part of my thyroid series, I would like to share with you this favourite recipe of mine. The shrimp in this light lunch are a perfect way to support a healthy thyroid, being high in iodine, selenium and omega-3. Cauliflower rice is a great way to swap out starchy carbs for an extra portion of your five-a-day.
- 1 large head of cauliflower (to make cauliflower rice)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup thawed shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- 2 large heads of broccoli
- sea salt to taste
My free private group is a resource that I set up for like-minded people who want to discuss their health and nutrition concerns in a safe and welcoming environment.
I log on everyday to join the conversation and look forward to seeing you there!
- Take the large head of cauliflower and grate it into a bowl with a large cheese grater, to make cauliflower rice. Alternatively, you can blend in a food processor until you achieve a rough, rice-like consistency.
- Melt coconut oil in a hot pan over medium heat.
- Add the Chinese five spice powder and heat for about one minute.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, and carrot. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp, then sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and broccoli. Cover and steam for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and season with sea salt as needed.
- Toss and serve immediately.