Hearty Quinoa Lasagne
Lasagne is a meal that everyone should have in their culinary toolkit. But when loaded with beef and cheddar, it's not always the healthiest option. This quinoa-based variation on the classic is still delicious and super-filling, but is also a healthy, vegetarian alternative that will suit anyone trying to get in shape for the summer.
This recipe is taken from my Summer Shape-up programme, which will be available to purchase on the Programmes Page soon.
(SERVES 6-8, BUT FREEZES WELL!)
- 500ml water
- 180g quinoa
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 150g sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 600g tomato pasta sauce
- 450g cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 25g grated Parmesan cheese
- 2tbsp chopped fresh basil or ½ tsp dried
- 1tbsp oregano, dried
- 300g large courgettes, sliced longways
- 260g fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- 170g shredded mozzarella cheese
- Coat a 25cm x 25cm baking dish with butter.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Evenly spread the quinoa in the prepared dish.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook, until transparent and starting to brown, 5—6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are softened and very little moisture is left in the pan, 3—4 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauce. Stir until hot. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper.
- Combine cottage cheese and egg in a medium bowl; mix well. Stir in Parmesan, basil and oregano.
- Spread one-third of the sauce over the quinoa. Make a layer of all the courgettes, then all the cottage cheese mixture, then half the remaining sauce, then all the spinach. Finish with the remaining sauce and spread mozzarella on top.
- Bake the lasagna until it is hot and the cheese is melted, bubbling and slightly browned around the edges, 40 to 45 minutes. Leave to stand for about 10 minutes before serving