21 Essential Oils You Shouldn't Be Without
Are you interested in the restorative, healing and enriching powers of essential oils, but not sure where to start? This handy list sets out 21 of the most commonly used oils and their uses.
Essential oils have been used for centuries for a wide variety of therapeutic purposes. The benefits of essential oils reside primarily in their anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. These have also grown in popularity because they are natural beauty ingredients with no harmful side effects.
These aromatic compounds are usually found in the bark, seeds, roots, flowers, and stems of various plants. They are generally extracted by a steam distillation or cold pressing process.
*Essentials oils are, in a sense, a pharmaceutical grade natural remedy with incredible power. With great power comes great responsibility, so always check with a certified herbalist, aromatherapist, doctor or other healthcare practitioner before using.
• Can help lessen anxiety, tension, and stress. It can also promote clear, healthy breathing, which helps to ease tension while enhancing mental function.
• It can be massaged into joints and muscles to act as an analgesic, reducing pain and aching.
• Provides a cooling sensation to the skin and can soothe irritations, mild rashes, and bug bites.
Combine the following ingredients to make your own laundry soap: 1 bar of grated Castile soap bar, 2 cups of Borax, 2 cups of washing soda, 1 cup of baking soda, 10 drops of basil essential oil. 5 drops of lavender essential oil, 15 drops of peppermint essential oil
• Best known for helping digestion. Using this internally will strengthen your digestive system and ease gastrointestinal issues, including upset stomach.
• Promotes better respiratory health, and when diffused or applied topically, it can provide clear breathing.
• Can naturally uplift your entire mood. It also reduces fatigue and sleepiness while improving concentration.
• Apply one or two drops to the area and dilute the oil with Fractionated Coconut Oil to help avoid skin irritation or sensitivity.
• Next time you are cooking, consider adding Cardamom oil to breads, smoothies, meats, and salads to enrich food flavor and to aid digestion.
• Supports and maintains healthy respiratory function
• Evokes feelings of wellness and vitality
• Promotes clear, healthy skin
• Relaxing, soothing aroma
• Before exercising, massage one to two drops onto your chest to maintain vitality throughout your workout, and enjoy the vitality-boosting benefits of Cedarwood oil.
• If your child wakes up scared after a nightmare, apply Cedar oil to the bottom of his or her feet to help promote a peaceful, settled feeling.
• Has a therapeutic, calming effect on the skin, mind, and body
• Soothes the systems of the body
• Supports health immune system function
• To reap the immune-supporting benefits of Roman Chamomile essential oil, you can easily add it to your water or a hot beverage in order to take the essential oil internally.
• For feelings of well-being, apply the oil to your chest, over the heart.
• Provides an invigorating, cleansing experience.
• Perfect for every member of the family.
• Gently exfoliates with natural oatmeal.
• During your nightly routine, add one drop of Cinnamon to two ounces of water and gargle for an effective mouth rinse.
• Place two to three drops in a spray bottle with water for a quick and effective cleaning spray.
• During the winter months, dilute Cinnamon with Fractionated Coconut Oil and create a warming massage for cold, achy joints.
• Powerful antioxidant properties
• Promotes circulation
• Supports cardiovascular health
• Helps soothe teeth and gums
• Promotes oral health
• Supports a healthy immune system
• Place 1 drop in a cup of water and swish around your mouth for 1-2 minutes and spit out for natural mouthwash
• Acts as a whole body detoxifier and cleanser when blended with coconut oil and massaged into the soles of the feet.
• When added to soap, coriander Essential Oil provides a fresh, cooling sensation on the skin. It’s a powerful cleansing oil that also soothes irritations.
• Adds a depth of flavor to foods but also has the additional benefit of promoting healthy digestion.
• Place two drops of coriander essential oil in a Veggie Capsule and take it internally to experience a cleansing and detoxifying effect that will leave your body feeling refreshed.
• Place a few drops of Cilantro oil into a diffuser to help deodorize any room and dissipate the unpleasant aromas in the air.
• Relieves occasional indigestion and digestive troubles
• Eases monthly menstrual cycles
• Supports a healthy lymphatic system
• Calms minor skin irritation
• You can combine Fennel oil with Fractionated Coconut oil for a soothing abdominal massage after a big meal, or on the day of a stressful event.
• To take Fennel oil internally, add a few drops to water or another beverage, or add 1–2 drops in a dops Veggie Capsule.
• The best oils for treating dry, sensitive, or mature skin that has lost its elasticity. This oil is used to restore skin tone and prevent wrinkles. It also helps reduce scars and stretch marks.
• Helpful in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis, coughing spells, sinusitis, colds, and sore throats.
• The most valuable Essential Oil for inducing slow, deep breathing, alleviating fear, and developing courage, and emotional strength. It's also an aid for eliminating sadness, anxiety, nervous tension, stress, and nightmares.
Mix 5 drops of Frankincense, 5 drops of Lavender, 1/5 tbsp. organic coconut oil and ½ tsp olive oil and mix in a small jar to make a fabulous body butter.
• An excellent treatment for upset stomach, nausea, and indigestion. It can also help and prevent morning sickness and nausea in pregnant women. can help stop bacterial dysentery, intestinal infections, and treat the effects of food poisoning.
• Impacts emotional, spiritual, and mental conditions
• Often used to reduce inflammation.
• Reduces painful and irregular menstrual cycles
• When you take a long car ride or drive along winding roads, diffuse Ginger oil in the car or place a drop of Ginger in the palm of your hand and inhale to enjoy its calming, soothing aroma.
• Before working out, take a drop or two with water or in a Veggie Capsule to reduce bloating.
• Widely used for its calming and relaxing qualities.
• Soothes occasional skin irritations.
• Reduces appearance of skin imperfections.
• Helps to ease feelings of tension.
• Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet for a restful night’s sleep.
• Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air with a light mist of Lavender combined with water in a spray bottle.
• Add to bath water to soak away stress or apply to the temples and the back of the neck.
• Cleans and purifies the air and surfaces.
• Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion.
• Supports healthy respiratory function.
• Diffuse to promote a positive mood.
• Take internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort.
• Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water to clean tables, countertops, and other surfaces.
• Lemon oil makes a great furniture polish; simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
• Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
• Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
• Supports healthy digestion
• Soothes aching muscles and joints
• Purifies and tones skin
• Heightens awareness and promotes a positive outlook
• If you are worried about keeping bugs off of your body, rub or spritz Lemongrass oil on your skin before you go outside.
• If you want to utilize the powerful flavor of Lemongrass essential oil, consider adding a few drops to entrees or meat dishes.
• Renowned for its cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the skin
• Promotes healthy immune function
• Protects against environmental and seasonal threats
• Promotes a clear, healthy complexion
• For occasional skin irritations, apply 1–2 drops of Melaleuca essential oil onto affected area.
• Add 1–2 drops to water, citrus drinks, or veggie caps to support healthy immune system function.
• Combine 1–2 drops with your facial cleanser for added cleansing properties, or apply to skin after shaving.
• Powerful cleansing properties, especially for the mouth and throat
• Soothes the skin; promotes a smooth, youthful-looking complexion
• Promotes emotional balance and well-being
• For an effective mouth rinse, combine one drop of Myrrh oil and two ounces of water. Gargle this combination for 30 seconds for an extra clean feeling.
• Ideal as an overall mood enhancer and relaxant
• Works well for a home cleaner
• Helps improve the smell of smoky or stale smelling rooms
• Use several drops in direct palm inhalation to shift mental negativity and enliven stale air.
• Add several drops to bathwater to help eliminate toxins, boost the lymphatic and immune systems and calm the nerves.
• Add several drops orange oil to a clean damp washcloth and toss in the dryer to freshen linens.
• Used as a powerful cleansing and purifying agent
• Provides immune-enhancing benefits•Supports healthy digestion and respiratory function
• Excellent source of antioxidants
• Take one drop daily to maintain healthy immune function.
• Add one to two drops to a veggie capsule to support healthy respiratory function.
• Put one drop in place of dried oregano in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, or on a roast.
• Put 10 drops in a 16-ounce spray bottle with water for a surface cleaner.
• Grounding, balancing effect on emotions
• Helps skin recover quickly
• Reduces the appearance of blemishes
• Soothes minor skin irritations
• Promotes a smooth, glowing complexion
• Provides a grounding, balancing effect on emotions
• Helps with head and neck tension
• For a smooth and glowing complexion, apply one to two drops of Patchouli essential oil to your face.
• To obtain the mood-harmonizing properties of Patchouli, apply one to two drops of Patchouli to your neck or temples or place three to four drops of Patchouli oil in the diffuser of your choice.
• Promotes digestive health.
• Helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.
• Commonly found in oral health products.
• Rub on temples after you wake up for a morning energy boost.
• Diffuse when feeling fatigued or low on energy.
• Take one to two drops in a Veggie Capsule to alleviate occasional stomach upset
• Supports healthy digestion
• Soothes sore muscles and joints
• Helps reduce nervous tension and fatigue
• You can add a few drops of Rosemary oil to a glass of water to support healthy internal organ function.
• Combine Rosemary, Frankincense, and Epsom salt into your bath for a rejuvenating experience when you are in need of a little “me” time.
• Promotes healthy, smooth skin
• Reduces the appearance of blemishes
• Enhances mood
• Frequently used in meditation for its grounding and uplifting properties
• Apply one to two drops to wet hair to help restore moisture and give hair a silky shine.
• Inhale Sandalwood directly from palms or diffuse to lessen tension and balance emotions.