Foods for a Leaky Gut
As part of my series of articles on gut health, here is a short list of foods you should eat, and foods you should avoid, if you are concerned that you may be suffering from 'Leaky Gut Syndrome'.
Foods that Heal your Gut:
- Bone broth provides the important amino acids that help heal a leaky gut and provide the body with important minerals. Learn how to make your own bone broth on my recipes page.
- Probiotic rich foods and drinks such as kefir, amasai (rich in high quality proteins, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, probiotics, and healthy fats), yoghurt, kombucha, sauerkraut, kvass and kimchi contain probiotics which can help heal the gut by destroying bad bacteria and by balancing the pH in the stomach and small intestines.
- Healthy fats in foods such as eggs, avocados, salmon, ghee and coconut oil promote healing and are easy on the gut. Please read my article on healthy fats to learn more.
- Steamed vegetables are an essential part of a leaky gut diet and promote healing.
- Fruit intake is important on a leaky gut diet but must be eaten in moderation (1-2 servings a day) and is best consumed in the morning.
Foods that Harm your Gut:
- Gluten. It is important on a leaky gut diet to avoid all foods that contain gluten and wheat products.
- Cow’s dairy. The A1 casein protein in cow’s milk can be more inflammatory than gluten, triggering a similar reaction and important to avoid when trying to heal the gut.
- Sugar. Bad bacteria love sugar. Yeasts like candida love sugar. These pathogens damage the intestinal wall, creating leaky gut.
- GMO foods and foods sprayed with pesticides and herbicides damage the gut lining. GMO foods have been proven to destroy the probiotics in the gut and cause organ inflammation.
- Phytic acid found in unsprouted grains can irritate the intestines causing leaky gut.
Supplements that Support Digestion.
- L-glutamine powder;
- Digestive enzymes;
- Aloe Vera juice;
- Fish oil.
Seek the advice of a professional healthcare provider before taking supplements as the need for specific supplements and dose vary from person to person.
If you think you might have leaky gut and wish to discuss your concerns please get in touch to book a free half-hour consultation. Also look out for my D.I.Y 21 Day Digestion Rescue Plan which will be available to purchase on my Programmes Page in the next few weeks.